Slab Leak Detection & Repair
A slab leak is defined as water leaking through pipes installed directly into or under the concrete slab. Many homes in California are slab homes, meaning the pipes go into or through the concrete slab. A slab leak may indicate that pipe has burst or has begun leaking as the result of a possible foundation shift, this can occur due to seismic activity or normal ground shifting.
Slab Leaks Are More Common Than You Think!
Slab leaks occur when the copper or galvanized pipes are cracked and leaking on the slab or underneath it. It can also occur when the pipes below the concrete break. Since buildings are often constructed on these slabs, the plumbing for a home or a business is located under the foundation. Slab leaks that go undetected can cause further damage to the foundation or slab creating an air pocket and weakening the concrete further, pulling the pipes and potentially causing even more damage. You need a team of slab leak specialists to help with water leak detection and perform a proper slab leak repair.
Indications of a Slab Leak:
- The sound of running water when none is being used.
- If you do not find any visual clues to the source of the sound of water, it could mean you have a hidden leak in the wall or under the slab.
- A hot spot on the floor could indicate a hot water line leak in your slab. Hot water lines are usually insulated and don’t heat the floor unless a radiant heating system has been installed.
- Mildew or excessive moisture under carpets could indicate your slab is cracked and the pipes are leaking. Cracks in a slab due to a leak allow moisture into the flooring. Drywall will soak up the moisture and create an ideal environment for mold to grow behind the wall. Mold is an environmental hazard and you need to make sure that proper cleanup and restoration of the property. After the mold is removed, the location of the source of moisture that feeds the mold can be identified and repaired.
- High water bills could indicate a slab leak. Unusually high water bills could mean a slab leak, leak behind a wall, or a leak where you cannot see it. First, have the water authority come and check your meter to make sure that it is working properly. If your meter is working properly, this may indicate a leak.
Slab leaks can become a major problem if not addressed correctly by a professional. Water pipes that leak below the slab of a house can be frustrating to homeowners. They can be difficult to identify and hard to know exactly where the leak is or how big the problem is until a specialized technician starts working. Unfortunately, very old pipes, damaged copper, or defective pipes will eventually leak.
Don’t Wait Until It Is Too Late!
California Repipe Specialist is here to help you solve your slab leak problems with skilled plumbing technicians and experience to fix the leak and clean up so your foundational slab will be as good as new. Our copper repiping will repair any damage that has been caused. It’s extremely important to hire a company that puts in the proper time and care to get the work done correctly. As a commitment to the quality of our service, we offer a guarantee on all of our services – simply contact us for full guarantee details. Let us give you a free estimate today!