What Is PEX Pipe?
PEX (or crosslinked polyethylene) is part of a water supply piping system that has several advantages over metal pipe (copper, iron, lead) or rigid plastic pipe (PVC, CPVC, ABS) systems. It is flexible, resistant to scale and chlorine, resistant to corrosion and pinholes, faster to install than metal or rigid plastic, and requires fewer connections and fittings. PEX tubing is made from crosslinked high-density polyethylene polymer (HDPE). The HDPE is melted and continuously extruded into tube.
The crosslinking of the HDPE is accomplished in one of three different methods; Peroxide Crosslinking, Silane Crosslinking, and Irradiation Crosslinking. While the methods of creation for this material may not be important to you, the consumer, it is important to know that this material is flexible in both its production and applications.
PEX Piping Facts
- PEX plumbing has been in use in Europe since about 1970 and was introduced in the United States around 1980. The use of PEX has been increasing ever since, replacing copper pipe in many applications. This material has been particularly useful throughout radiant heating systems that are installed in the slab under floors or walkways.
- PEX is much more resistant to freeze-breakage than copper or rigid plastic piping.
- PEX tubing does not transfer heat as readily as copper, which helps to conserve energy and lower utility bills.
- Water flows more quietly through the PEX tubing. The common “water-hammer” sounds of metal-based piping structures are almost completely eliminated.
- PEX installations are oftentimes more cost-effective because PEX is less expensive than copper pipe.
- Less time is spent running pipe and installing fittings than metal-based or rigid pipe counterparts, and installing fewer fittings with PEX reduces the chances for return service calls. If you’re looking for an alternative to a copper repipe, PEX piping would be the premium alternative.
What Is PEX Repiping?
Repiping is the removal or bypass of existing plumbing pipes to replace them with new PEX pipes. The PEX we use is among the highest quality available, and we guarantee the process for life. Contact us today for full details of our guarantee.